Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Life and Death

"Dallas, your dad has gone to heaven," I told my son. It was the most difficult sentence I think I've ever had to say. My ex-husband was killed in a car accident the night before and I had to share the news with my son. His son. After a few minutes of tears and questions, Dallas said, "I wish I could've seen him one last time."

Losing a loved one is never easy. If the loss is unexpected it's especially hard. If they were sick, we are glad they aren't in pain anymore. But we still wish we could see them one last time. We wish we could tell them how much we loved them, give them a kiss or a big hug.

Oh, intellectually, I know death is a part of life. And if they knew Jesus, I know I will see them again. It's the emotional, human part of me that doesn't understand. It's so weird that I won't see them on this earth again.

A former co-worker recently died. A dear couple I knew from the baseball field was tragically killed in a car accident. My friend and former preacher passed away in his sleep. The recent deaths of so many celebrities has been a shock to everybody.

But in the midst of all the sadness, I remember my friends. I think about how blessed I was to have known them. The memories of laughter and fun give me comfort and peace and bring a smile to my face. They touched my life - in big and small ways. They touched the lives of so many others. I pray for the ones they left behind. I pray that I will live my life as if each day were my last. We don't know when our time is up. Only God does. The Lord who created each of us holds the future. I am so thankful this time on earth is not "the end." But rather the beginning of an eternity with the Almighty God. Isn't that cool?!

We don't know whose lives we will touch while we're here. Our life and how we live it matters. When you're gone, who will consider it a blessing to have known you? Be a blessing to someone today. And when you think about the friends and loved ones you've lost, remember the special moments you had with them, the love and the laughter. Remember to smile.

1 comment:

Reb said...

Kelly, a truly beautiful message. We often lose sight of making that daily difference in the life of others and how they would describe us. Wonderful and Thank You!