Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Trusting God

Six years ago we lived out in the boonies - seriously, the middle of nowhere: St. George, GA. A one-light town about 20 miles north of Macclenny, FL. It is peaceful, beautiful - God's country. We loved it. For a season. Things changed when my son turned 5 and was going to start school. At the time, I worked in Jacksonville, FL and had over an hour commute. It was time to move to town.

I made some flyers: house for sale, 3/2, fireplace, two acres, etc.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.

I knew God wanted me to be closer to my work and the kids' schools. By this time school had started and we were getting home around 7pm each night. We had a buyer over the summer but after everything was said and done, I would've paid them to buy my house! I was trying to make something happen instead of letting God do what only He can do.

I began to pray: Lord, you know what's best for my family. I will trust you with the sale of my home. I know you have a plan for us. I will wait for you. P.S. But PLEASE send a buyer soon!

Each day I would say this prayer - and I would trust God.

After the endless summer and well into fall, God finally did send a buyer. It was the weekend after Thanksgiving when I received a phone call from a gentlemen interested in my home. Yippee! The only caveat: he needed to sell his house first. I politely asked about his home which boasted a fireplace, pool, 3 bedrooms, screened-in porch and a room for an office - everything I wanted in my "dream home." I became more and more intrigued and told him I'd love to see it.

Fast forward to January 30, 2004 when I closed on the purchase of my new home in Jacksonville, FL AND sold my home in Georgia - all on the same day. The fella God sent back in November did indeed buy my house. And I bought his!

Amazing things can happen when you trust God. Jeremiah 29:11 says: For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

It's not easy to "let go and let God." We often feel the need to hold on tight, believing we can make things happen. There was such a sense of freedom when I began to trust God each day. He knows just what we need, when we need it! I encourage you to trust God today - for your future.

3 comments:

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Wow, great story!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this story of your faith. We also sold our St. Simons Island home in 32 hours, because the Lord wanted us here on Jekyll. Interesting how HE works.

Be well,
Pamela Bauer Mueller

Kelly said...

Thanks ladies!! God is A.mazing :)