Thursday, April 10, 2008

According to THEIR needs

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. — Ephesians 4: 29

I've read this scripture a million times (well, that may be an exaggeration!) but a bunch of times anyway and it just hit me the other day: ". . . but only what is helpful . . . according to their needs . . ."

I have two children, a 21 yr. old daughter and a 10 yr. old son. God gave them both a very unique personality - which was evident from birth! My daughter is much more strong-willed while my son is more sensitive. When Christie was about 13, I realized she did not respond to situations the same way I might. For example, if she was punished (which didn't happen often) she just shut down - no talking, discussion, nothing. Basically, she didn't appear remorseful! If I got in trouble as a kid I was asking my mom what I could do to make things better - pretty much sucking up - trying to make things better so my mom wouldn't be mad at me :)

When I read Ephesians 4:29 recently, it struck me that as I pray for others and lift them up with my words and actions I should be more aware of what THEY need - not always what I want for them. My prayers for my children are now focused on what God would have me do - for them . . . according the THEIR needs and what He has planned for them.

God has a plan for all of us - my prayer is that His will be done. I'm going to do my part by being sensitive to how God will use me to meet the needs of others. May God bless you today according to YOUR NEEDS!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Thanks for looking at my blog :) Hope you found some encouragement. Kelly